Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Crazed Girl

I have a fetish for morbid, haunting poetry and this poem fit those categories perfectly as well as appealing to my wanderlust. It evokes lonely seascapes and waifish girls in billowy white dresses and made me long for the ocean (more than usual).

A Crazed Girl
That crazed girl improvising her music.
Her poetry, dancing upon the shore,
Her soul in division from itself
Climbing, falling She knew not where,
Hiding amid the cargo of a steamship,
Her knee-cap broken, that girl I declare
A beautiful lofty thing, or a thing
Heroically lost, heroically found.

No matter what disaster occurred
She stood in desperate music wound,
Wound, wound, and she made in her triumph
Where the bales and the baskets lay
No common intelligible sound
But sang, 'O sea-starved, hungry sea.'

By William Butler Yeats
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that's beautiful! I like it. Here is a short poem I like , I can't remember who wrote it but it make me think of you.

    The gulfs enchanted, where the Siren sings--- and coral reefs lie bare, where the cold sea-maids rise to sun their streaming hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I just looked it up and it's from the poem "The Chambered Nautilus" by Oliver Wendall Holmes. I actually had this poem in high school literature... Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I always wondered who wrote that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anytime :)
    I love beautiful poetry...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. I have a whole file saved of poetry and quotes I love. I've got so many it's hard to share them. lol

    ReplyDelete