Tuesday, December 14, 2010

That Time of Year

     Everybody knows Christmas is right around the corner. All the house are lit up with lights, there are hordes of shoppers, scores of Christmas decorations, and Christmas music blasting from just about every radio station. Now I love Christmas. But...I think people take it a bit too far sometimes. For example, there might be that one house down that one street whose yard is stuffed with inflatable reindeer, snowmen, Santas, lights, and enough candy canes to feed hungry children for a year (maybe not that long, but close!). And five of my favorite radio stations all playing different versions of the same cheesy Christmas song? Ugh, spare me. But I'm no Grinch...I love Christmas, but for different reasons. Presents are always amazing (I love scarves, hats, jewelry... *hint hint* :P). I LOVE giving gifts. I love finding the perfect gift for someone and seeing if they actually like it. I'm so impatient, I want everybody to open their gifts NOW!! Heheh. But I can wait. Just not for long... But the best reason for me is because we are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ who came to earth to save the world. What a blessed thing to celebrate! Here are some mementos of preparing for Christmas...

     Yesterday, my mom bought two pine wreaths, brought them home and practically dumped them on me saying "Decorate!" Sigh. Thanks Mom. I was a bit irritated at first....(And I'm sorry Mom, it really wasn't THAT bad) but my artistic side soon took over and I had a interesting adventure, scrambling to find decorations and stretching my creativity (I mean, it's not everyone who can make ribbons out of old left-over aprons, is it?). The wreaths turned out pretty nice and Mom had bought two boxes of battery-operated lights to put on them (sadly only 1 light-set worked), and they are now both hanging on our front door, cheerfully wishing all a Merry Christmas!


I loved how the wreath completely matched the bouquet of lovely flowers on our dining room table!

The berries are real...they came from a plant in our yard, I'm not sure what it's called, but it is quite festive!





6 comments:

  1. Awesome post!
    I fell the same way about Christmas, as Charlie Brown says: “Christmas it to commercialized.” or something like that. It’s hard to remember what Christmas is all about.
    I also feel the same way about giving gifts. I can never wait to have someone open that perfect gift that I just know they are going to love! :D I love getting gifts too. (hint, hint! lol jk)
    The wreaths look amazing! Did you really make the ribbon from old aprons? That is to awesome, I never would have thought of that! Nice photos btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is WAY too commercialized =( I mean, at least wait to start selling Christmas stuff until after Thanksgiving, right? Some stores these days...
    And yes, I'm pretty sure the scrap of fabric was from an old apron. I was scrounging around, hoping desperately to find some red ribbon, when I looked into my sewing box and behold! A scarlet scrap of fabric blazed up at me...And the ideas started =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Christmas doesn't start for us until the day after Thanksgiving. ;)
    Sometimes that's the way the best ideas start. My creative side always come out much more at Christmas time. I just made a gift for my dad. It's a felt ornament, Henry the christmas bacon. It's a piece of bacon with a santa hat and a smiley face. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! I was looking through your mom's blog and I realized your family is extremely creative!! I was jealous ;) My mom is pretty creative too, but I'm usually the only one who will make stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, you are so sweet! I do like it when we craft and call it school. lol!
    I would totally make and send you a Christmas gift if I could! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Auberne's Mom! I'm not sure what exactly to call you...but I hope that works =)

    ReplyDelete